Delve into the strategies a little more and attempt to apply them to Curtin Business School (CBS), and things get complicated! CBS has many different customers but seemingly the most important being our students. The only issue with that is that a very large majority of the staff across CBS have little to no contact with students throughout their day-to-day activities and in some cases not at all throughout their working career. How does this get fixed? Good question. If you asked majority of the staff at CBS they probably wouldn't even be aware that students are most likely the number one marketing tool that we have as an organisation. When you think about this, it does make sense though. Students are the ones sitting in their chairs attending lectures, using the Abacus labs to meet up with fellow students working on assignments, using Blackboard to access the unit material and using the services offered around the campus. They are talking about these activities with their friends, family, people they talk to on the street and perhaps contacts they have overseas. As we learn in most of the units undertaken in this degree, word of mouth is perhaps the most powerful tool we have as marketers. So as this is the case, why do most staff have no contact with students to hear these stories and develop marketing strategies to market their positive experiences or counteract negative publicity?
For many different reasons, like most organisations, CBS has various departments that fall under the CBS umbrella, however in most cases they operate as completely separate organisations. These departments consist of administration, finance, strategic, support and project areas that enable each department to run as smoothly as possible whilst adhering to governance and policy guidelines. These departments are also know as schools such as Accounting, Business Law & Taxation, Economics & Finance, Graduate School of Business, Information Systems, Management and Marketing.
Reference: Zeithaml, Valarie A., Mary Jo Bitner, and Dwayne D. Gremler. 2009. Services Marketing: Integrating customer focus across the firm. New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin
Would it make sense to use Facebook here, a popular social media tool for students, where students may post anything that they are unhappy/happy with.
ReplyDeleteThese suggestions can then be taken into account at CBS and used to create a better experience/marketing strategies.
From personal experience, we have found we used Facebook Pages for group assignments, not only was it easier to work out timings for meeting and using it to update everyone on what was happening, it saved a lot of time from millions of emails being spammed into our inboxes.
I am aware that obviously the group assignment was on a much smaller scale than having a CBS website, but maybe have a different facebook page for various departments and use on department as an experiment to start of with ... This way it will be on a smaller scale and it will help monitor if it really does work or if it is worth it.
The student contributions would be benefitical to the growth of CBS.
ReplyDeleteAs you have also stated ' internal communication is also subject to participation in the communication strategies and the direction and content of the communication'
ReplyDeleteWe all know, through how we have seen Evaluate that it is difficult to get students to participate, but I've found through experience with classmates, that when they are happy with a unit, they are less likely to evaluate, because to them 'it's not worth it.
However, when unhappy with a unit, evaluate is the first thing that is done... In this way, a forum (Facebook being one suggestion but a blog could also be used) where students may host only complaints, isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it helps CBS in solving any problems whilst they are still in the growth stage.
Wonderful opinion, as an oversea student I had regularly asked does the money and time I had invested worthy? The answer is not conclusive, simply because there is no way to measure that. Because some students will believed it is not worthy, because they had invested a lot of money and they didn’t received enough service from the university so they don’t really satisfy with the university. But, some think they had learned a lot from the “gate keeper” of the society. Because of they see the degree is the ticket of market place and the ROI is great in the future. Recently, I had read a post from New York Times, it claimed “Students are investing time and money with a purpose in mind. The school that does not serve that purpose will not survive.” Therefore, I agreed with your opinion, university should pay more attention on students need, because students equal to customers.
ReplyDeleteThe following link:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hma.eu/fileadmin/dateien/HMA_joint/02-_HMA_Topics/02-HMA_Strategy_Paper/Index/Section_III_01_Stakeholders.pdf
Although based on communication to stakeholders within the medical field may have some good ideas on internal communication strategies that could be duplicated by curtin.
From your article, I can appreciate how complicated it would be for CBS with so many stakeholders, from staff to local students to international students... as well as maybe language barriers between international students may make internal communication even more difficult.
ReplyDeleteSo many students are unaware of the various services, such as English classes, that the university offers..
I think maybe we need to fisrt find out how students really want to communicate with staff. Sometimes we say we want to, other times we want the divide. I'm not even sure what I really want when it comes to this. I think Xin is right about students should be equal to customers, but do students really want to be seen as purely "commercial"? I know I wouldn't. I want to be treated as 'part of a community". Not a money supplier.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments everyone. I think the notion of using Facebook is an interesting one. Perhaps it would be useful to survey students, staff and external stakeholders to determine their preferred form of communication. As Facebook may be something that works for students but email may work better for external stakeholders say.
ReplyDeleteI would agree with Rhonda though that I think the stakeholders especially students should be treated as part of a community rather than as a customer as such. I think the community feel would be beneficial for all stakeholders and would work to strengthen the reputation and word of mouth for CBS. Incorporating the key stakeholders into a community of communication could be the key to tackle the communication issues. Everyone likes to be part of a community and this may work to our advantage to gain participation from all parties.